**Click Photos for Larger View**
At least the third courthouse built in Vaiden, each one was built on a different spot. The present courthouse was completed in 1989, the bell out front was from the old courthouse which stood where the Children’s Park now stands.
The house was built in 1875, the year after the first courthouse of the 2nd district and Shongalo Presbyterian Church were built down at the bottom of the hill on which this house sits.[Don’t you know those were exciting times for the little town of Vaiden!]
The house stayed in the McConnico family until it was bought by Vernon and Margaret Anderson in 1946. Then the house was purchased by Bobby Noah in 1996.
This beautiful 1910 Victorian home is now a Bed and Breakfast. Retired educator, Rubye Miller, bought the house in 1995. and has restored it to its original glory.
The Vaiden Cemetery is one of the oldest in Mississippi. It has graves of Confederate soldiers and many unusual tombstones, including the monument of the “weeping lady.”
Vaiden High School
In 1874 Dr. and Mrs. C. M. Vaiden built the Vaiden Male and Female Institute. The first teachers were Mr. and Mrs. Charles Henry Barksdale, ancestors of Jim Barksdale, former President and Chief Executive Officer at Netscape Communications Corporation in Mountain View, California.
(It is interesting to see that education is still important in the Barksdale family) The current building was built in 1941 on the site of the Institute.